Death and serious injury on our roads have sadly featured heavily in our courts during August. Here, reporter Martin Naylor, rounds up some of the month’s more serious cases he has covered.
Violent and dangerous Neil York permanently disfigured his victim when he slashed him across the face with a knife during an unprovoked attack in Derby city centre.
The 45-year-old even told a psychiatrist who assessed him in custody: “I am a ticking time bomb when I go out, it’s ‘boom’ and I can’t do anything else”.
And in a statement read to the court, the man told how he now suffers “nightmares and people are chasing him with a knife,” wears a hat to try an conceal his scar and won’t even have a haircut or let anyone touch his head or face.
Jailing York for 10 years and two months, Judge Shaun Smith QC said: “You had a miserable childhood, of that there is absolutely no doubt, but this is not all about you, this is about your victim.
“He was not doing anything on that evening, he just had the misfortune of coming across you and whatever triggered it, you inflicted an absolutely horrific injury on him.
“I have read the psychiatrist report in which you told him ‘when I fight I have the urge to hurt someone, I know what I have done is not right, I’m a ticking time bomb when I go out’.”
The knifing took place outside Primark, in Albert Street, in the early hours of December 5, last year and York, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and has previous convictions including robbery with a firearm, wounding and house burglaries.
York’s sentence is seven years and two months custody with an additional three years on an extended licence due to his dangerousness to the public.
Heartless motorcyclist Orlando Piasecke abandoned his best friend who is unlikely to walk again after being catapulted from a stolen motorbike and suffering catastrophic injuries. The 19-year-old was travelling at 60mph down 30mph limit Cotmanhay Road, in Ilkeston, when he collided with a car.
His mate and pillion passenger, who was thrown from the bike, struck a concrete post with such force and suffered such horrific injuries he now has to live downstairs at his home. Without having the right disabled adaptations, the man, discarded by his so-called pal, has to be taken to his local swimming baths each day so he can get a shower.
And after being released on bail for this offence, the defendant then went on a drug dealing spree that saw him take a selfie holding a bag of white powder and saying he wished he’d “whacked” a policeman.
In a hugely powerful victim impact statement read to the court by prosecutor Victoria Rose, the young man said: “I was in a coma for several weeks unsure if I was going to live or die and even now, months later, I am unable to walk and I am unsure if I will ever walk again.
“Orlando was my friend, I would say my best friend and I hate Orlando now, I can’t believe he walked away, he has not been to see me and while I cannot walk he can walk around freely.
“That’s not what mates do, he just ran away and forgot about me, I never want to see him again.”
Miss Rose said the collision occurred on Good Friday, April 2, last year. Piasecke, of Nelson Street, Ilkeston, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving without insurance or a valid licence and possession with intent to supply heroin and crack cocaine.
Jailing him for six years, Judge Nirmal Shant QC said: “The victim impact statement which has been read out sets out profoundly how his life has been changed by what you did on that day.
“You are aged 19 and you are a damaged young man that was full of bravado and with little regard for anyone else.
“And in terms of the drugs, to say that you were persistent is an understatement.”
“Angry and jealous” woman beater Daniel Baughan held a knife to his then-partner’s throat and told her “I’m going to do it” leaving her fearing she was going to die. During a second attack, the 31-year-old bit and punched the victim to the face before grabbing a pair of scissors and telling her “I’m going to do it again”.
The defendant, of Alvaston, then attempted to hang himself with a flex from a vacuum cleaner and when arrested and interviewed said both assaults happened when he was acting in self-defence.
Jailing Baughan for 15 months, Judge Shaun Smith QC said: “(You’re) an angry and jealous man, she had just been out with her friends, which she’s perfectly entitled to do without you calling her ‘a slag’.
“She was so scared she locked herself in the bathroom. I would be failing in my public duty if I were to suspend this sentence.”
Siward James-Moore, prosecuting, said the assaults took place in the victim’s own home in January and February this year and Baughan, of Field Lane, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault. Along with the jail sentence, Judge Smith handed Baughan a five-year restraining order not to contact the victim or go to any address where he knows she might be residing.”
20-year-old Jacob Collinson was only 19 when he killed his friend in a car crash. Lewis Diedrick, a former West Park School pupil, suffered catastrophic head injuries when a Ford Fiesta being driven at “at least” 48mph down a country track by the Spondon defendant went down a ditch and hit two trees.
The 20-year-old victim was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre but his condition deteriorated, and his parents Mandy and Paul Diedrick had to make the devastating decision to switch off his life support machine the following day. In her victim impact statement, Mandy said: “I held his hand thinking this could be the last time telling him to open his eyes praying for a miracle.
“I swear to God I could see a tear in his eye, my last memory of my son is of him bruised, battered and with a tear in his eye.”
Paul, Lewis’s dad, told the hearing how after leaving West Park School, his son was working as an apprentice telecoms engineer in a job which he loved. He said Lewis had plans to buy his own house and embark on a degree.
In his statement, Paul said: “I now have a life sentence of grief and sorrow, I feel crushed and numb, I endure grief and sorrow every second of my life.
“Our lives have been destroyed by what we are told was a tragic accident but accidents can be prevented and this was preventable in every way.”
Lewis was the front seat passenger in Collinson’s car on the day of the incident on August 29, last year. They were the last of three cars in convoy travelling down a track to the Hells Airsoft site, off Stenson Road, which has a 10mph advisory speed limit.
The prosecutor said while the first two cars safely negotiated a bend, Collinson lost control of his at a speed later estimated by experts to be a minimum of 48mph. The defendant, of South Street, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and has no previous convictions or cautions of any kind.
Jailing the former West Park School pupil for nine months, Judge Robert Egbuna said: “The defendant did not set out to take the life of his friend and I stress friend because they were friends at the time (but) it’s likely Jacob Collinson was travelling at a significant speed.”
As well as the jail sentence, Judge Egbuna disqualified Collinson from driving for three years.
Derby man Shahid Shah called an anti-terror hotline and told them he was going to kill a member of the Royal Family during a series of threatening and obscene phone calls. The 39-year-old, of Pear Tree, also telephoned an Army reserve barracks to falsely warn them of an impending and non-existent terrorist attack.
The defendant made 61 bogus calls to Derbyshire police during which he went into explicit sexual details to a female handler. And in the past, the same defendant was convicted after calling 999 to tell the police he was going to use a bomb to blow up a city mosque.
Jailing him for two years, Judge Shaun Smith QC said: “What you were doing was preventing officers and staff from answering genuine calls for assistance by having to deal with your hoax calls.
“It was made more difficult because you used a variety of numbers and you were a significant drain on the resources of these people who are trying to protect the public.”
The calls were all made during October and November of last year and Shah, of Walbrook Road, pleaded guilty to eight counts of malicious communication. He has previous convictions include one for false imprisonment at rape for which he was jailed for 11-and-a-half years.
Representing himself over a link from HMP Nottingham, he said he was the victim of an forced marriage in his home country of Pakistan and while there visiting had been taken to a Jihadi training camp.
He said: “My dad and cousin left me there and told me ‘you need to stay here and chill out’.”
Lorry driver Richard Smith was jailed for seven months for colliding with and killing a much-loved Derbyshire. The 41-year-old, of Middleton-by-Wirksworth didn’t see David Bates as he rode on the A515 between Clifton and Ashbourne on September 10, 2019.
His sentencing hearing was told how minutes before the collision the defendant narrowly avoided an earlier collision with a car. Judge Jonathan Bennett paid tribute to 71-year-old Mr Bates, of Ashbourne, at Smith’s sentencing hearing.
He said: “He was an active man, one of the things he loved to do was to ride his bike with his friends over long distances although he was on his own on this day. He was a very popular man, over 300 people attended his funeral in Ashbourne.
“His family miss him dreadfully, they had no chance to say farewell and that’s a tragedy.”
Jailing the defendant, the judge said: “This was not a prolonged case of very bad driving and there was no issue with drugs or alcohol. Was there inappropriate speed? Yes, it’s not excessive speed but you were driving at above the speed limit.
“There was no issue with you, for example, using a mobile phone or having a poorly maintained vehicle. Unfortunately, the whole issue about this case this that you just did not see him, full stop.
“You did not realise what happened until you had hit him.”
Smith, of King Street, had originally denied a more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving but in May of this year admitted a lesser charge of causing death by careless driving.
Written by: Admin